FCCLA Draws Attention Toward Homelessness Issue

Maggie Cockerham, Contributer

Students had the opportunity to sleep on the track with only blankets and cardboard boxes, which was hosted by FCCLA members, on Nov. 3 because they want students to gain awareness and appreciation of the lives that they have.

Homelessness is defined as the condition of not having a permanent place to live, which has only recently been viewed as a societal problem. In the U.S., three to four million people are affected by homelessness, which has caused health and psychological problems throughout.

“I believe it is important to familiarize myself with the daily lives of homeless Americans,” Courtney Cook (10) said.

Every dollar and item brought to the event will go directly towards the homeless in our area by giving it to organizations that are designed to help the homeless. It is required that students who attend will need to bring either $25 or five blankets to donate. They are also to bring a cardboard box shelter, which they may use with a blanket to keep warm through the night.

“I think homelessness is a serious issue because humans are not helping others and are selfish within themselves,” Jewelia Rattanavong (10) said.

This event is an opportunity for students to take action on the homeless problem and make them aware of the severity of this issue.

“This event will be beneficial,” Brianna Castillo, FCCLA member (10) said. “It shows students how not having shelter for a night can affect a person, and allows them to see the hardships that people go through.”