The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

National Network Outage

Nationwide Cell Service Blackout Threatens Mobile Phone Carriers
Photo by Charleston Franklin
A network blackout took place affecting over 70,000 users worldwide. This blackout affected the ability of users to use their mobile devices properly. -Made in Canva

Tens of thousands of cell phone users nationwide reported a network outage across the United States early Thursday morning, with customers of AT&T experiencing majority of the impacts.

According to DownDetector.com, the impacts of the outage peaked between 8 and 9 a.m. More than 70,000 customers reported network outages across the US.

Initially, the outages that occurred primarily affected customers that used AT&T’s carrier services, however according to recent reports the outage has affected cellphone carriers like T-Mobile and Verizon.

Shortly after the outage, AT&T released a statement to NBC News stating that they are working diligently to repair network services. In addition, AT&T also encouraged users to use their Wi-Fi calling feature until service is fully restored.

As connection issues continue to get sorted out, the Federal Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency is working closely with AT&T to better understand the cause and impacts of the outages.