The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Pill for Lung Cancer Produces “Earth Shattering” Results

Future Advancements in Lung Cancer Treatment
Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer death in the United States. Fortunately, there have been rapid advancements in lung cancer treatment. – Creative Commons

Thanks to a new pill, many lung cancer patients may have access to life-saving medication. The pill, known as Osimertinib or Tagrisso, is now available for patients with Stage 1B-3A lung cancer with a certain genetic mutation and who have had their tumors removed.

Tagrisso has been shown to reduce the five-year risk of cancer returning by up to 73% and the risk of death by up to 51%. This has been called “earth-shattering” because usually, medical oncologists are happy with 5-10 percent but this pill raises it all the way up to 51%.

Patients who have the EGFRm genetic mutation and have already had surgery are good candidates for Tagrisso. Patients with stage 4 lung cancer who have the mutation without surgery are also eligible if they have the mutation. It has been found that around 25% of patients with lung cancer end up having this mutation. A patient can see if they have the mutation through a blood test or from a tissue sample extracted from the tumor.