The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Operation Christmas Child

Celebrating 30 years of ministry
Operation Christmas Child delivers millions of gifts to children in need all over the world. They deliver to a hundred and seventy countries and territories. -Made in Canva

During the week of November 13-20, millions of shoeboxes filled with presents were collected from across the U.S. for Operation Christmas Child. Operation Christmas Child is a worldwide project where people of all ages can send gifts such as toys, school supplies, and personal care items to children in need all over the world.

The project is run by Samaritan’s Purse and millions of people worldwide participate in it. Founded in 1993, Operation Christmas Child has delivered more than 209 million shoebox gifts to children in more than 170 countries and territories. In 2023, 11 million gifts were collected in the U.S. alone. This project is the world’s largest of its kind and is celebrating its 30th year of ministry.

Anyone is able to pack a shoebox. To make a shoebox, you first choose what gender and age group you would like to send gifts to. Then you find an empty shoebox, fill it with gifts and even a personal note. Then you can take it to one of the 4,500 drop-off locations in the U.S.