Fundraising in Season Around Community

Kailey McComas, Contributor

By selling products or asking for donations, organizations can expand their budgets to attain necessary supplies through fundraisers within the community. This school year, many fundraisers have been started in multiple programs including athletics, cheerleading, CBI, softball, Belles, tennis, and many more.

“We are supposed to get a stringer for our rackets for when the strings pop, a new ball machine, and warm-up sweats,” Heather Garrison (9) said.

Fundraisers do leave good results like the ones above, but sometimes they do not leave such a good reputation when they are not done effectively. The latter results are dreaded, especially by Annabel Gaul (9).

“It is important because you need the money, but then again it is such a hassle especially for high school students because no one cares,” Gaul said.

Although there are cons to fundraising, there are many pros as well, such as being able to purchase supplies for a program.

“It is important to raise money for the program so you have money in your budget to supply things to a team without having to ask for money all the time,” Natali Taylor, Belles director said. “Also so you have the opportunities to go to contests and to go on trips and build your program.”

There are many ways to go about fundraising. Most have a product and a catalog, or a car wash in which case the buyers are benefited as well as the sellers. Every so often, a group does a fundraiser that deviates from this trend.

“We actually are not selling anything because we wanted to break away from the traditional fundraisers,” Garrison said.

Whether it is traditional or not, fundraising is important  and in order to be successful, support and clever marketing is needed.

“Always have something physical to show them whether it’s a catalog or the physical item and having that one-on-one communication with them,” Taylor said. “Kind of putting them in a position to make a decision rather than texting them or just putting it on social media and just assuming they are going to make a decision. So really just making that personal connection usually helps.”