Hands Off My Hijab

France Senate Tries to Ban Hijab for Minors.

Hands Off My Hijab

Isabella McAllister, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

Recently French senate has banned the Hijab to be worn by children under the age of 18-years-old, mothers attending field trips with their children, and burkinis have been banned at pools as well. This ban was put in place to avoid religious extremism. 

The ban still has to go through the National Assembly to be fully approved to be illegal. After this ban was issued, a hashtag was released “hands off my hijab,” in support of Muslims who choose to wear the Hijab for their own reasons. 

The Hijab is a cultural headscarf for those who wish to be modest around unknown men,” Delaney Williamson (9) said. “It is a cultural right and I don’t think a different country should be able to ban something that is a big part of another country’s culture, especially if it does no harm to anyone around them.”

The Hijab is a part of Muslim culture and religion and many feel as though the government should have no part in deciding what people wear. 

Are they just gonna start ripping them off their face if they’re under 18,” Spencer Sutton (9) said. “It’s their religions cultural traditions and they should be noticed and respected.”

The question stands as to what will happen if people do not follow these rules if they are passed. Those questions include will minors be arrested if a Hijab is worn or will the parents be punished?

“I believe they will get too much backlash if they do, resulting in a takedown of the ban,” Williamson said.

Many people believe that the National Assembly will receive a lot of controversies if the Hijab ban is passed in the higher court. 

“A hijab is part of their religion, it’s their choice if they want to wear one,” Landry Woodward (10) said. “I don’t wear one because I don’t believe in religion. It doesn’t bother me if they wear one.”

Even people who do not wear a Hijab have expressed that they should be able to wear one if they choose to do so. Some students have compared the Hijab to a religious symbol like a cross worn by Christians. 

“In no world should it be extremism to express your religious beliefs in such a tame way,” Jacob Crim (11) said.