Jag Camp

Kaci Wiens, Staff Writer

The Midlothian Heritage High School cafeteria went from being silent all summer long to buzzing with incoming freshmen. Students filed in, searching the crowds for friends and a place to sit. Excitement and nerves were evident on their faces. Jaguar Camp was the start of a new chapter in their lives–high school.

When the freshmen were arriving, they were being directed into the cafeteria where they were to meet the principals and learn a bit about how the school is run. “I was excited to see my friends and classmates,” Alan Scheer commented regarding walking into the school for the first time.

“I was very nervous about my schedule and a whole new school… but I was also really excited to see my friends and ready to start learning again!” McKenna Cooper stated.

The students then attended three “sessions,” where they had the chance to learn about school spirit, rules, and expectations. “I expect more freedom, and to be pushed to be better as an athlete and a student,” Alan explained.

“I’m expecting a lot of good changes and differences in high school. I know I’m going to work a lot harder on tasks inside and outside of the classroom. I’m expecting the staff to push me to be a better student and get me ready for obstacles that we’ll face when we leave high school,” says McKenna.

While it’s not an easy transition from middle school to high school, both Alan and McKenna are correct–teachers and coaches are here to push the students and help them accumulate the tools needed for college and adult life. Whether it’s self-discipline, studying, or work ethic, Heritage staff have been trained and are excited to push the students to their highest potential.

Finally, it was time for the students to receive their schedules. Freshmen poured into the gym and lined up, eager to find out their classes and who their teachers were to be.

“My schedule is alright. I have to go everywhere around the school to get to my next class which is stressful, especially since we only have 5 minutes, but once I figure it out I’ll be all set!” The good news for McKenna is, the Heritage campus is very easy to navigate!

Jag Camp was created to not only inform students but to welcome them to the inspiring, positive atmosphere of Heritage. As ninth grade students prepare for the start of school in just two short weeks, teachers await the opportunity to pour their knowledge and encouragement into the freshmen, who are also eager to put in the effort and push themselves as athletes, students, artists, and leaders.