The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Differences Behind State Lines

The Differences Between Texas and Arizona
Arizona and Texas have many cultural differences. The states have both experienced their own events and characteristics leading to these differences. 

- Made in Canva
Photo by Preslee Frazier
Arizona and Texas have many cultural differences. The states have both experienced their own events and characteristics leading to these differences. – Made in Canva

If you know me, you’d know that I was born and raised in Arizona until I was around eleven years old. While being in Texas for the past few years, I’ve grown used to the cultural features of this great state. After not visiting my home state for a while, a few things had surprised me during my visit.

The first, and of course the most obvious, is the weather. While being accustomed to the colder weather Texas has been receiving recently, Arizona was warm and beautiful. The lowest temperature was 73 while the highest was 85, with a lot of rain. This was an exciting surprise since Arizona is usually miserably hot and dry.

When I first moved to Texas, I was shocked that there was a second part of the Pledge of Allegiance. Arizona only includes the general pledge during announcements. This led to several awkward moments of sitting down too early.

Another thing I’ve noticed was the higher gas pricing. For example, here in Texas, gas prices average to around two dollars and seventy cents per gallon. While in Arizona, gas prices average to around three dollars and fifty cents per gallon. While it doesn’t seem like a big difference, every dollar adds up, especially when the majority of cars take around 12 gallons to completely fill.

While casually speaking, I was teased by several family members due to the “new” way I speak. They tell me that I have a “Texan accent,” or that I need to stop saying “y’all.” However, I don’t hear an accent in my voice at all, and I can barely remember a time when I didn’t say “y’all.”

One of Texas’ most visited stores, known as Kroger, is also in Arizona. However, it is not called “Kroger”, but rather “Frys.” It is the same exact store, with the same exact brands, and the same exact deals and events. The only differences between the two is the name and the location.

After not loving Texas so much my first year living here, it has definitely grown on me, and I couldn’t imagine a better place for my family and I. I will always love Arizona as well, as the place I have grown up and have great memories in. I have been lucky to live in two great states, and will always hold a special place for them in my heart.