The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Perpetual Horror Nights

Scary Movies All Year
Photo by McGlauthon (Mac) Fleming IV
Not all horror movies are for Halloween. They are an excellent art form to be enjoyed year around. – Made in Canva

Now that Halloween is over, the world needs to be clear about something because it feels like this happens almost every year except this one because a high profile Thanksgiving horror movie happens to be getting a lot of push this year. Horror movies, a genre that deserves more respect than it gets, can be watched year-round and only certain horror movies are for Halloween in the first place.

Firstly, while there might not be a lot to cover all the holiday’s and seasons, there is at least one for every single one. Horror (or thrillers) as a genre is defined by creativity, ingenuity, and how cheap it can be to make one and still have it be amazing. Since this quality is an ever present aspect of the genre, I feel like this is a quality that allows for people to do whatever they just feel is interesting and this includes depicting any and everything in a horror context.

There are Fourth of July horror movies, Valentines Day horror movies, Thanksgiving horror movies, and even Christmas horror movies. And beyond even that, most films may take place during a non-specific time, but they are framed around an event that you can attach to a time of year. For example, the excellent film “Midsommar” takes place during a cult’s Springtime harvest activities, which means it can be watched throughout the entire year but it definitely fits more in line with the season while watching it toward the middle of the year.

The crux of this idea is the fact that fictional serial killers commit murder in every season, and while our society may attribute a sense of dread more closely with one part of the year, that dread is entirely eternal and horror builds off that idea. So, people should allow themselves to take the thrill of fear with no threat anytime they see fit. Blood and guts or no, it doesn’t matter, horror is a universal experience in both subject matter and time of year.

So, take the plunge into some scary territory and give this much maligned genre some respect during the winter this year. In fact, I’ll leave off with some recommendations. If you would like any more for anything you interested in seeing, check out the Dead Meat channel on YouTube. Be advised, if you do not like horror because you know you can’t handle certain subject matter, be wary before you try any of the films below to avoid triggering material. This is being left in your hands, so you are responsible. Happy Hauntings.

Universal:
Candyman (1992)
Midsommar (2019)
Hereditary (2018)
Evil Dead (1981)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Scream (1996)
Saw (2004)
Get Out (2016)
Escape Room (2019)

Winter:
The Shining (1980)
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)
Black Christmas (1974)
Better Watch Out (2016)
Jack Frost (1997)
Gremlins (1984)
The Thing (1982)
Misery (1990)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
Snowpiercer (2013)