The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Busy Backpacks

The Need For Accessible Lockers To All High School Students
Heavy backpacks are damaging the backs and posture of students. Having a locker can make a huge difference in the health and school life of students. 

- Made in Canva
Photo by Preslee Frazier
Heavy backpacks are damaging the backs and posture of students. Having a locker can make a huge difference in the health and school life of students. – Made in Canva

As a high school student, we are required to carry all of our school materials around with us on our back all day. I think the majority of the student body would agree that our bags are insanely heavy and each day the weight only increases. I believe that a great solution to our heavy bags would be to have access to our own lockers.

With lockers, we can keep all of our stuff organized and ready for each of our classes, while having a lighter bag. It will also reduce mistakes like leaving a notebook at home that could’ve been placed in a locker at the end of the day. With lockers, we can easily grab what we need for our next class, while leaving what we don’t need, safe in our lockers. Personally, if I got to decorate a place of my own and have my own little spot in school, I feel like I would be way more motivated to come to school everyday.

Believe it or not, heavy bags can result in various health problems like back pain and even injury. Studies from Ozark Orthopedics show that when a person carries a heavy backpack, it increases weight and stress on your spine, creating back pain and posture issues. When I think about this, it reminds me of “Chinese Foot Binding,” since we have been literally shaping our backs with heavy bags everyday since elementary school.

Those who use tote bags to carry their supplies can be more at risk than those who use backpacks, since all of the weight is shifted onto one side. The undivided weight can lead to tired and sore neck muscles, headaches, and backaches.

Like everything, there are also cons attached to the pros. For example, depending on the location of the class, the locker may be out of the way for your next class, risking being tardy. Also, there are many students in this school, and the costs would be insane to install each student a locker, along with some extras.

Also, if we were to have lockers, there would be a risk of forgetting homework or other things needed for home. However, if planned out correctly tardiness and risk of forgetting things shouldn’t be a problem, once you get down to a routine. Additionally, the money for lockers can be found through school events like football games and dances, and in my opinion, could be easily funded through students who feel getting a locker is important.

Overall, lockers would be a great asset in our school and would improve the health and organization of Heritage’s students.