The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Most Overrated YA books

What are students most overrated YA books
Photo by Alyssa Camp
Books can have a great impact on how we view the world and other people. They can also be an escape from regular life. – Made in Canva

For many high school students reading is an escape from the boring reality of school. While many students read a variety of genres, a majority of high school students will read in the Young Adult genre. Most students end up getting their book suggestions from social media platforms or friends. However some just seem overrated and can yield disappointing results. One student, Marisa Natchke (10), believes that the most overrated books are Colleen Hoover books.

“Any Colleen Hoover book is overrated,” Natchke said. “I just feel like her books cannot all be that good and they feel overhyped.”

Natchke says she hears about the books all the time and no one ever talks bad about them. Maddie Nabinger (10) also agrees that Collen Hoover books are very overrated and that they are basically fan fiction.

“Her books are literally fan-fiction,” Nabinger said. “If she’s going to write fan-fiction, at least try harder.”

Other than Colleen Hoover books, some students such as Ava Robinson (10) believe that the book “They Both Die at the End” is also overrated.

“I heard about it online and heard the book was good,” Robinson said. “But the book had a lot of plot holes.”

Many times when people hear about a book through friends or social media, they end up getting disappointed when they read the book because they thought it was going to be amazing and it just wasn’t. Other than students the new librarian, Mrs. Gardner, also has an opinion on this topic.

“I feel like Divergent is very overrated,” Gardner said. “I didn’t like it’s science fiction aspect and it just felt dumb.”

Other than Divergent, Gardner also thinks that most John Green books are overrated.

“John Green books are always the same,” Gardner said. “They’re always a sad story and I know that I’ll be crying at the end.”

Although Young Adult books can be used as an escape, some can just disappoint you back into reality. So, whether a person read books from friendly suggestions or social media, sometimes it’s best to take book suggestions with a grain of salt so that they can actually enjoy the book without high expectations.