The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Holiday Mashup

Unnecessary Decor is Not the Move
Photo by Charleston Franklin
Holidays are a time for fun and enjoyment or to remember an important event that took place. But when stores threaten that idea, it defeats the whole purpose of the word “Holiday”. – Made in Canva

As holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas quickly approach, it raises a question in my head: Why do stores bring out holiday decor so far in advance?

Every time I walk into a retail store, I have an out-of-body experience with all the different holiday stockings, mistletoe, and Christmas trees greeting me at the entrance of Walmart when Christmas isn’t until a couple of months from now.

Stores often bring out holiday decor too far in advance, and there ought to be some explanation behind it because it doesn’t seem practical. Holidays should be celebrated separately, and you should have time to celebrate each individually without getting bombarded with other extraneous holiday decor.

When my family and I shop, we love to embark on the current holiday festivities and decor, whether it’s the Easter baskets for Easter or the typical heart-shaped candy for Valentine’s Day. However, I feel thrown for a loop when holiday decorations are already out on display before the holiday kicks into full gear. It really makes the holiday feel less exciting.

Some people may argue that introducing holiday decorations in retail stores early is beneficial. However, it can undermine the significance of important events and lead to holiday prep starting earlier than planned.

Additionally, the early appearance of holiday decor can cause buyers to feel overwhelmed, as they may feel pressured to start shopping early, leading to unnecessary stress.

A holiday blog called the “Yule Blog,” offers an opposing view to my claim. “By starting early, you get to enjoy the festive atmosphere for a more extended period. Whether you’re admiring the new holiday decor for sale or getting a jump start on some holiday shopping, soak in the magical ambiance because the joy of the holidays doesn’t have to be confined to December.”

While this quote does address the desire for starting holiday preparations early, it fails to take into account the stress that comes with preparing for a holiday.

Also, many people just like to celebrate holidays individually and cherish each and every moment, but you can’t do that when there’s already different holiday decor being displayed in various stores.

To tackle this situation, it is beneficial for stores to create “breathing space” for holidays. This will enable people to cherish every moment without any stress or anxiety related to additional holiday preparations.