The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Is The Golden Bachelor so Golden?

“The Golden Bachelor” Premiere Review
Photo by Charleston Franklin
The Bachelor franchise was created over 21 years ago to allow contestants to find love. Recently, ABC produced another spin-off “The Golden Bachelor”. The Golden Bachelor gives senior citizens a whole new opportunity to find love, even in their older years in life. – Made in Canva

After much anticipation, ABC just released another “Bachelor” spin-off, “The Golden Bachelor”. ABC is known for making several spin-offs of the original “Bachelor” show, but this new addition is in a league of its own. With the show taking an untraditional route, it allowed senior citizens to find love compared to the younger crowd.

The show stars a 71-year-old man from Indiana named Garry Turner. Garry’s wife Toni, unfortunately passed away in 2017 and ever since then, he’s been trying to get back on his feet and step back into the dating world. Garry’s love for pickleball and his family made him an excellent choice to fulfill the role of the first Golden Bachelor.

As far as the women Garry will be meeting, the casting department did not disappoint! Garry’s group of women that he’s meeting ranges from ages 60-75, which is amazing considering the young age gap from the previous “Bachelor” spin-offs. One detail that I find very noteworthy is as the first episode opens up, it starts with complete silence and then as Garry puts his hearing aid in, it transitions into some upbeat music. In my opinion, this was an excellent way to open up the show as it gives us some insight into Garry’s life and lets the audience be further invested in the show.

I was hooked after the first limo entrance. As we further move on into the episode we finally meet the women that Garry will be pursuing throughout the season. We meet women like Anna (61), from Summit, NJ, whose hobbies include diving with sharks. We also meet Edith who is a retired Real-Estate Realtor. Seeing Garry interact with these contestants just filled my heart with happiness.There’s no unnecessary drama that takes over, just meaningful connections. As more women enter the mansion it’s refreshing to see them root for each other, it’s such a change in pace from what we usually expect from other “Bachelor” spin-offs.

As the episode progressed Garry sparked some romantic connections with several women. I find that the conversations Garry was having this time around seemed very genuine and heartfelt. One woman in particular, Faith (61), surprisingly caught Garry’s attention. In her conversation alone with Garry, Faith serenades Garry with a sweet song accompanied by her ukelele. In her I.T.M (In the moment interview) Faith says “there is something calming about Garry, I feel like has such a calm, peaceful demeanor.” In turn, Garry says “That was an amazing song, you had me at the get-go.”

The genuine connection that Garry and Faith shared was enough for her to receive the coveted first impression rose. The first impression rose is the first rose that the lead gives out that signifies his strongest connection at the moment. The recipient of the first impression rose is automatically safe from elimination and moves on to pursue another week with the lead.

As the night concludes the women are led to the main lobby area for the rose ceremony. The rose ceremony is when the lead sends people home in order to help the season progress. Many women feel anxious during this time as they might get sent home without even getting an opportunity to meet Garry.

Unfortunately as the episode concluded, six women were sent packing and 16 contestants remained vying for the opportunity to meet the love of their life!

The premiere episode of “The Golden Bachelor” proves that age is just a number and anyone could find love!