The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Starbucks’ Fruitless Fruit Refresher

The Class-Action Lawsuit Starbucks is Currently Facing
Photo by Preslee Frazier
Starbucks is currently being sued for the lack of fruit in their “fruit” refreshers. They tried to get their lawsuit excused, but the judge declined due to their misleading advertisement. -made in Canva

Currently, Starbucks is facing a lawsuit due to the lack of communication of what is really in their refreshers, or rather, what is not in them. Nine official lawsuits have been filed against the company for not having fruit in their “fruit” refreshers.

These refreshers actually contain water, grape juice concentrate and sugar (this is devastating because I am in LOVE with Pink Drinks). The filers of this lawsuit claim that if they would’ve known they weren’t going to get the nutritional ingredients they thought they would, they would have saved their money. I personally agree with this, especially since Starbucks isn’t the cheapest of options.

The customers who filed these lawsuits claim that Starbucks’ ads for their refreshers are misleading, considering that they are advertised with fruit, without actually including fruit in the drinks. I personally agree because if you display and relate your drink with fruit, of course people will expect it to actually have fruit.

However, it is no surprise that Starbucks’ drinks aren’t the healthiest option, considering the sugar levels in their other products like their frappuccinos.

When Starbucks’ got notice of the lawsuits filed against them, they claimed that these statements are “inaccurate and without merit.” They also claim that their products are “not misleading” and that the customer could have gotten clarification from a barista before ordering.

I do agree at some level, that if you are worried about the things you eat or drink, then you should research the food or drink you want.

Of course, this doesn’t excuse their deceptions. When Starbucks tried to dismiss these lawsuits, the judge denied it because he believes that justice should be served, and he will not allow Starbucks’ to continue deceiving the public.

In conclusion, companies like Starbucks, need to be more honest with the ingredients they put into their drinks, if they want to keep customers.