The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Newsworthy Means New

People Always Forget About the Big Stories
Photo by McGlauthon (Mac) Fleming IV
Newsworthiness and space in the news is finite. It is much better to seek and care about causes regardless of whether it is being widely talked about. – Made in Canva

Coverage ends before issues end. That is always the reality that people seem to forget about. And this is entirely an issue of perspective and how small it can be for so many people.

So many people live their entire lives within a bubble or a vacuum. This means that the way they interact with almost anything that is not through their immediate surroundings is through media, and although trust in media seems to be at an all-time low these days, stories that they care about become increasingly important the more that it is covered.

This is great, as the more people care about something, the more they will fight for it or pay attention to circumstances that lead to it, inspiring change. However, this has created a delusion among many people that just because a story is not getting serious attention from the media either means that it is not important or that low media attention somehow means that people care less about it than other issues.

This is not at all how the world works. The world does not stop and an issue does not stop existing, whether for better or worse, just because the news either does not cover it or stops covering it. The world keeps spinning, even if the presses are stopped. So, people need to realize two things: caring about an issue means caring about whether it is a trending topic or not and because of the capabilities afforded to them by the Internet, they can read up on and support whatever they choose to instead of waiting for it to get any attention.

Giving a cause support brings attention to it and brings forth even more support. Having to fight over whether or not an issue gets coverage is wasting time and energy that you could be using to support the cause itself. It is almost as bad as those who act like the issues do not exist just because they do not see them or are directly affected by them at the moment. They are worse though, do not get me wrong.

People need to break out of their bubbles and be more aware of what is happening in the world around them because sooner or later, the poisoning of a well in Michigan will come for you in your own backyard, even in Texas.