The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Boys Varsity Basketball 1st Game

The North Forney Falcons and Heritage Jaguars Compete Head to Head
Photo by Charleston Franklin
The Varsity Boys Basketball team competed in its first game on November 10. The final score was 68-61. – Made in Canva

The Midlothian Heritage varsity basketball team played the North Forney Falcons at Midlothian Heritage High School on Friday, November 11. This was the season’s first game, so a lot was at stake to begin the season with a clean record.

Minutes before the game, Kasen Brown (11) was excited to get things started since it was the season’s first game.

“I think we’ll come out hot,” Brown said. “We’ll execute the plays that we run and that the coaches gave us and we should come out strong.”

Before the game started, the head coach of the team, Andy Slye surprisingly didn’t have a game plan heading into the season’s first game.

“We’re just trying to get better every single day, Slye said. “We don’t really have a game plan for these guys. We want to do our stuff correctly and as best as we can and progress through the season.”

Brown was fairly confident that the team would come out victorious in their first match of the season.

“10 out of 10 for sure,” Brown said. “We practice on this everyday and I feel like it will come natural to us.”

Before the game, Jullian Mccullough (12) elaborated upon what the team needed to do to become successful in the first game.

“We’re going to box and move the ball as a team,” Mccullough said. “We might face a couple of ups and downs, but we’ll be straight.”

In the end, the Falcons came out victorious in a tight matchup with a final score of 68-61. Brown is taking this loss as a lesson in order to improve further out in the season. With this being the first game the team still has plenty of chances to make a mark on the court.

“ I feel like we could’ve executed the plays better,” Brown said. “Through the season I’m hoping to execute our plays better and to also play as a team.

As of Nov. 30, the varsity basketball team is sitting at a record of 4-4.