The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

Picking the Premier Performances

Ranking my Favorite “Pitch Perfect” Songs
Pitch Perfect is a movie trilogy about a cappella that has been seen by fans around the world. Because this is one of my favorite movie series of all time, I ranked my top five favorite performances.

- Creative Commons
Pitch Perfect is a movie trilogy about a cappella that has been seen by fans around the world. Because this is one of my favorite movie series of all time, I ranked my top five favorite performances. – Creative Commons

The first “Pitch Perfect” movie came out in September of 2012 when I was just six years old, and over a decade later it still remains one of my favorite movies of all time. I bet you can imagine my excitement when the second and third movies were released in subsequent years, but in my opinion only the first two movies of the trilogy are actually good. So although I’m technically ranking my favorite performances from all three movies, only songs from the first two movies will actually appear on this list because the performances from the third movie weren’t the greatest. So without further ado, let’s get into my top five favorite “Pitch Perfect” performances. 

5) “Don’t Stop The Music” – The Treblemakers – I’m going to start off by saying what everyone else is thinking: the Treblemakers are better than the Bellas. There, I said it so you don’t have to. The first “Pitch Perfect” movie starts off with a banger from the Treblemakers with their performance of “Don’t Stop the Music.” Although he’s a bit of a jerk, I like Bumper as the lead singer of the Treblemakers (not more than Jesse though) and he shines in this performance with his stage presence. The group as a whole also does well, especially with the airplane formation they assembled, and they worked off of Bumper nicely to put on a great opening performance.

4) Riff Off from “Pitch Perfect”- I was debating on whether or not I should include the riff offs in this list, but after going back and watching all of the movies, I thought it would be rude of me not to acknowledge how good they are, especially the one from the first movie. As soon as the Treblemakers started stomping out the beat for “Mickey” I knew it was going to be good. The way that each following group picked up on the last word from the song of the previous group is such a cool concept to me, and it definitely took skills and song knowledge to pull it off. But the highlight of this riff off is definitely when the Bellas sang “No Diggity ” and all the other groups joined in to help them get their first and only riff off win. Who knew such a cool moment could happen in the middle of an empty pool. 

3) Das Sound Machine World Championship Finale – For the second time, I’m going to say something everyone else is thinking: Das Sound Machine (DSM) is also better than the Bellas, and they should have won the World Championship final. It still gives me shivers when they sing the introduction to “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark(Light Em Up).” DSM’s choreography is arguably the most impressive characteristic of the group, and this performance displays that perfectly. And the greatness doesn’t stop there, as their transition into “All I Do is Win” is so good, and the mashup of both songs is the perfect choice for a World Championship Final. I said it once and I’ll say it again: DSM should’ve won the World Championship.

2) Bellas Final from “Pitch Perfect”- The finals from the first “Pitch Perfect” movie contains both of my two favorite performances, and it was tough choosing which one would be number one. But I still stand by the statement that the Treblemakers are better than the Bellas, so the Bellas finals performance will be taking my number two spot on this list. With that being said, this is still a fantastic performance. They draw the crowd in at the very beginning with “Price Tag” and then transition into “Don’t You(Forget About Me),” and I think I speak for all “Pitch Perfect” fans when I say that Becka has the voice of an angel. Their new choreography also adds some sparkle to this performance that they were lacking in the previous ones. They end with “Give Me Everything,” which I think is a great ending song for a finals performance, and even though I don’t think they deserved to win this one either, they did a great job.

1) Treblemakers Finals from “Pitch Perfect”- The Treblemakers are my favorite “Pitch Perfect” group, and they’re taking my number one spot with their final performance from the first movie. This is a Treblemaker group led by Jesse, and his stage presence and rich singing voice really shines when the group starts off with “Bright Lights, Big City.” The way that the Treblemakers form human instruments as their choreography for this song is also really cool. They then transition to “Magic” where we get to see Benji shine, and he does a great job on this solo. Finally, Donald whips the crowd into a frenzy when he starts rapping, and in my opinion they had sealed their win after that. Unfortunately, they’re not the main characters of the movie so they didn’t win, but this performance is still my favorite “Pitch Perfect” performance for sure.

While “Pitch Perfect” is over a decade old, the performances in that movie still hold a special place in my heart. The Bellas and the Treblemakers made a cappella look cool, and to this day I still wish I could sing so that I partake in a real life riff off.