The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

The Comeback of College Football

How Students Feel About the Upcoming Season
The 2023 college football season has officially begun. Conferences such as the SEC. Pac-12, and Big 10 have dominated in past years.
Photo by Natalya Shelton

Fans across the country tuned in on August 26 to watch Notre Dame dominate Navy to kick off week one of the 2023 college football season. Science teacher and Texas Tech fan, Coach Jackson Mclaughlin reflects on the excitement that comes with the return of collegiate level football.

“I think football in general, the whole Friday night lights of it, gets people excited,” Mclaughlin said. “And I think just having so many colleges, it’s fun rooting for your team and your school.”

Students like Xsavior McCallister-Jackson (12) look forward to the unpredictability of the new season.

“It’s fun seeing the intense games,” McCallister-Jackson said. “With all the hype around certain teams and all the new talent that’s coming into the new football season, it’s interesting seeing who’s going to prevail over every other team.”

While football is a popular sport across America, in Texas, it is much more than a game to fans. Football is deeply embedded into Texan culture, and fans expect nothing less than greatness from the teams they support. Maxim Newton (12) shares his thoughts.

“Texas is football is everything,” Newton said. “Most of the D1 or NFL football players come from Texas. Texas is like the football state.”

With football being so prevalent in Texas, having a strong team to support is made that much more important. Newton shares how his team is playing thus far.

“Right now I support Texas State,” Newton said. “They’re 4-1 right now so they’re doing really good.”

Other fans aren’t so happy about how their favorite team’s season is going.

“[Texas Tech’s season] is not going great,” Mclaughlin said. “We’re not as good as we were supposed to be, but we have some promise. We have a quarterback who I like. So decent but not great.”

Although team success is one of the most important aspects of college football, the success of individual players is often what fans pay more attention to. Wide receiver Stetson Sarratt (12) shares his favorite player to watch.

“[I like watching] Marvin Harrison since he’s like the best college football receiver right now,” Sarratt said. “I’d definitely say I model my game after him since that’s what I play.”

Coach Mclaughlin also shares who he enjoys watching so far.

“I like that kid from USC, Caleb Williams,” Mclaughlin said. “I like watching him, I think he’s the real deal. From [Texas] Tech, I like the new quarterback, his name is Baron Morton. I think he’s just a little gunslinger. And the only UT guy I’m excited to watch is Archie Manning in the future. I’d like to see what he can do.”

Every college football season comes with new predictions for who will be among the best teams. Newton shares which teams he feels will be the best.

“Probably Alabama and Georgia,” Newton said. “Georgia is probably the number one school. They’re always stacked. Every year they have the best players.”

Mclaughlin shares a similar view.

“Those SEC teams are always really good, so like Georgia,” Mclaughlin said. “I think USC with Caleb Williams. I think just having an elite quarterback is going to make them do something.”

On the other hand, there are teams who aren’t quite living up to expectations. Sarratt shares his thoughts.

“Oklahoma State is doing bad this year,” Sarratt said. “ ‘Bama is doing bad this year. I don’t what the worst team right now is, but both of those guys are doing pretty bad.”

McCallister-Jackson also reflected on a few teams he feels haven’t quite hit the mark.

“[The worst teams are] Colorado, and Colorado State,” McCallister-Jackson said. “Colorado has hype but they don’t have the defense to take on everybody else. And Colorado State just sucks.”

But in the end, only one team goes home with the NCAA championship trophy.

“[Georgia] is just a dynasty,” Sarratt said. “They have probably the best coach. Pretty much all of their players are returning so I think they’re going to end up winning it all.”