The student news site of Midlothian Heritage High School

The Roar

The Roar

The Roar

The AI Revolution

The Consequences To Expect With AI Evolution
Currently, AI is evolving at a rapid pace due to human dependence and contribution. AI was founded in 1950, but was not released to the public until 2001, and has been getting smarter ever since.

- Made in Canva
Photo by Preslee Frazier
Currently, AI is evolving at a rapid pace due to human dependence and contribution. AI was founded in 1950, but was not released to the public until 2001, and has been getting smarter ever since. – Made in Canva

AI or artificial intelligence is a human-like mind controlled through technology, that has no feelings nor emotions, and can tell you almost anything you need to know. AI can range from the algorithms giving you the social media content you love to full on intelligent robots that can deliver pizzas, groceries, or even act as law enforcement. This sounds amazing at first but there are many potential and current issues to it. Tech-elites and even the U.S Government are worried about the progress of AI and how it will affect our future. These concerns led to the development of an Executive Order to help regulate AI to keep Americans safe.

Elon Musk, the creator of Tesla and several other AI-based companies, claims that AI has the “potential of civilization destruction.” It is surprising for him to speak about AI considering he is a big contributor to AI’s existence. In my opinion, this shows that if he and other owners of AI dependent companies are worried, then we may actually have a serious problem.

There are many ways that AI can bring us “civilization destruction.” Some of these include, privacy violations, misinformation, manipulation, data sourcing, but the main one currently being loss of jobs. In fact, this has already started. Just last May, 4,000 tech employees lost their jobs to AI, and many more are still to be expected. If this continues, the world’s economy will be greatly distressed and the majority of the middle class will be knocked out. Leaving us with the rich, upper class and the poor lower class.

However, looking through the company’s eyes, why would you spend extra money, time, emotion, and sick days on humans, when AI can do the same job with no emotion, little to no money, and no sick days? Through AI they would have a constant worker, but they would have to program it perfectly for no mistakes. Although, the problem is that it is a human-created intelligence, so it being perfect is incredibly unlikely.

In conclusion, we need to keep our world human-dominated. Although, I do believe there is a place for AI in this world, and if we closely regulate it, it may bring us great things.