Testing A New Form Of SAT

College Board Moves SAT Testing Online

The College Board released a statement on January 25th about their plans to switch the SAT from a paper test to a test that can be taken on the computer. The score that students acquire on the SAT is a very important part of the college application process, even if the colleges are not specifically looking for their students to have taken it.

“I am fine with it as long as the software that the test is taken in is easy to use and self-explanatory,” Corey Milligan (10) said.

To make applying for college easier for students during the pandemic, colleges widened their application window along with removing some of the items they had come to expect from their applications, such as the SAT. To counter the test’s waning relevance to some colleges, they originally planned for students to be able to take it at home. This would be similar to how students were allowed to take the AP exam in their homes during 2020. That is no longer the plan, however, but the new way the test is going to be given comes with some drastic changes.

“It’s probably not the best decision,” Bailey Warlick (9) said. “Everybody functions differently, and some people need longer testing hours. I am one of those people. Deadlines are stressful for me, and they freak me out. Shorter testing times make me rush and not think about my reasoning for choosing my answer.”

First, the test will be about an hour shorter, coming down from three hours to two, with more time devoted to each question. In the English section, the reading sections of the test will include shorter reading passages with one question for each of them, and the excerpts will also better reflect the wide range of topics that students are likely to read in college. Calculators will also be allowed for the entire math section of the test. Students will see changes outside of the actual test-taking as well.

“Really convenient but I’m salty,” Paris Drake (11) said.

Students will get their scores back much faster, waiting a couple of days instead of weeks. Along with test scores, there will also be an information and resource report connected to the score report about local colleges, workforce training, and career opportunities based on your scores. Students will be able to use their own devices as the test will lock down all internet usage to stop cheating, and if students do not have a device, College Board will provide them with one.

“I don’t care and I don’t want it,” Cheyenne Giesecke (10) said.

The test will also save answers and record how much time students have left just in case, anything goes wrong. The biggest change made is the unique test forms since the test will be different from student to student based on their previous answers. These changes will be implemented in other countries starting next year, and they will be in the U.S. starting in 2024.

“I don’t know how I’ll feel because it solves problems with cheating better but you don’t have a place to jot down your thoughts at each question,” Levi Skelton (10) said.