Taking On Leadership, One Newspaper Story At A Time

The New Newspaper Leadership Team for the 2021-2022 School Year.

Isabella McAllister, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

Recently, applications for the Jaguar Media Leadership team were released and many people applied for new, old, or different positions. Leaders were chosen out of the applicants for the 2021-2022 school year. 

Maxie Eller and Julia Alley are returning as leaders for the next school year’s newspaper, and Hannah Espinoza will be joining the team as Assistant Photographer Editor. Eller will be the new newspaper Editor-In-Cheif and Alley will be the Managing Editor. 

“Our staff next year is mostly new people, so we’re basically building from the ground up,” Maxie Eller (11) said. “I plan to prioritize the basics so that everyone knows how everything works. Deadlines and time management are very important, so I’m going to harp on people to get stuff done on time. I want to give the newspaper more attention if that makes sense and advertise that we’re here and are writing about the school. “

Both of the leaders plan on making a few changes to strengthen the newspaper and the team as a whole for the next school year. 

Next year, I’m hoping to improve communication between the separate branches of media,” Julia Alley (11) said. “I really want us to be able to have photos for our stories that we’re not just pulling off of google images. I think getting involved with the A/V team could help people become more aware of our existence. Overall, we’re all a branch of our media team, I think we should apply that and work together.”

With new and old leaders, the team will work to expand their communication and learning skills. 

“I’m going to have to learn the specifics for the newspaper and what the team needs from their leader, as well as take pictures for them. It is a new position, so I’m hoping I can work out the hiccups with Mrs. Kidder,” Hannah Espinoza (10) said. 

Mrs. Kidder is very proud of her students and she helped shape these students into the leaders they are.  

I think it’s really a privilege to get to meet these young writers and help shape them,” Alley said. “I think one of the best parts of being a new writer is getting help from those who have advice to offer, and I can’t wait to be that person.”

For these students, being a leader is a very important role for them. 

Being a leader means being there for others,” Eller said. “The best leaders serve others, and I that’s what I prioritize: service. Being a leader means helping others become their best selves and pushing them to achieve their full potential. Being a leader means being someone that people can rely on, look up to, and want to emulate. I just hope that I can live up to those ideals.”