Vaccine Availability, Mask Mandates, and More

COVID-19 Vaccine Is Widely Available for Everyone Over the Age of 16.

Lily Johnson, Writer

COVID-19 vaccines are now available to everyone in Texas age 16 and older. Vaccines were deemed impossible or out of reach to people, until now. 

There are three current available vaccines, made by Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and Moderna. Pfizer is the only vaccine available to minors, more specifically teens between the ages of 16 and 18. Almost sixteen percent of the United States population has had at least one dose of the vaccine. Some people don’t agree with these vaccines, while others do.

“I find that the vaccines may make you feel strange after receiving the vaccine,” Brendan Reynolds (9) said. “But it prevents you from possibly catching the COVID-19 virus.”

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is said to be 95% effective against COVID-19. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 66% effective, while the Moderna vaccine is said to be 94% effective. 

“I believe they are [effective] because they have been thoroughly tested,” Jaxson Chambers (11) said. 

The CDC recommends that everyone 16 and older receive the vaccine as soon as possible. Everyone is eligible to sign up to get a vaccine in Ellis County as of a few weeks ago. While they are available and said to be highly effective, some disagree with the vaccines. 

“They are useless,” Jordan Bever (9) said. “They are like the flu vaccines where you will have to get one every year because there is just going to be a new strain of the virus every so often.”

Methods such as vaccines, masks, and social distancing have been used throughout the past year in attempts to slow the spread of COVID-19. 

“I think that they are absolutely pointless,” Janicia Gonzalez (12) said. “Just as I see the masks as absolutely pointless and insignificant.”

Recently, Governor Abbott lifted the Texas Mask Mandate, making it no longer mandatory to wear masks in most businesses in Texas. Abbott’s medical advisors claim they were not consulted before the lifting of the mask mandate. Many have disagreed with Abbott, while others agree with the lifting.

“I think it’s very helpful and necessary,” Logan Espinoza (10) said. “Since the science shows that masks help curb the transmission of COVID-19 and other illnesses.”

Masks are mandatory in most schools but still required in some places off-campus. Lots of people eat at restaurants, get fast food, and regularly shop without masks. While some disagree with the full functionality of masks, many believe in their success against the virus. The CDC recommends wearing a mask after receiving a vaccine as well, for safety measures. 

“I believe that everyone should wear their mask correctly,” Henley Barnes (11) said. “To protect the safety of everyone.”