Myanmar Is All Cooped Up

Myanmar Military Coup Takes Over Government.

Julia Alley, Newspaper Managing Editor

On Feb. 1, 2021, the military in Myanmar declared a year-long state of emergency after seizing control of the government. This all took place after the election of Ms. Suu Kyi, a member of Myanmar’s NLD political party. During Ms. Suu Kyi’s campaign, she received resistance from the military and she is now being held at an unreleased location on the basis of violating COVID-19 restrictions.

Since the coup, military commander-in-chief Min Aung Hlaing has taken a position of power. Protests in opposition to the military have made a sharp increase. Curfews and gathering limits have been imposed, as well as rubber bullets and live ammunition being used to disperse these protests. At this time 450 civilians have died at these protests. It’s unclear what steps will be taken next, but the military has declared that they will hold a democratic election after the state of emergency ends. 

“It looks like the military might win, but Myanmar citizens might rise up against them.” Grace Nguyen (10) said. “There’s also the possibility of foreign influence.” 

Multiple UN advisors have already denounced the military rule and response to protests in Myanmar. 

“The military leaders of Myanmar were the ones unsatisfied with the results,” Adam Burkart (12) said. “The opposing power to the NDL will assume power due to military influence.”

The question of what role the outside countries will or should play in this issue still remains. There has already been international backlash and worldwide leaders condemning the actions taken by the Myanmar military.

“The United States stands with the people of Burma in their aspirations for democracy, freedom, peace, and development. The military must reverse these actions immediately,” United States Secretary of State, Antony Blinken said. 

Other students at Heritage have slightly contradicting opinions on what actions should be taken by foreign leaders.

“Absolutely nothing involving sending the military there,” Nguyen said. “Sending American soldiers to an Asian country went horribly last time.”