A Monumental Moment In Heritage History

2018 State Champion Girls Soccer Team Awarded to Former and Current Players.

Isabella McAllister, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

On Dec. 28, 2020, the 2018 State Champion Girls Soccer monument was finally dedicated to Heritage High School. The girls competed against the Jasper Bulldogs in the final game, and went into overtime, winning in overtime. 

The 2018 varsity soccer girls made history with their state win. All of the previous soccer players who competed in the state championship game came out for the dedication and some even made speeches. 

“It was great to see my old teammates who we haven’t seen in a while,” Kylar Kenter (12) said. “We all got to catch up and tell each other what’s been going on in our life.”

Many families, coaches, and donors helped plan this special moment for these girls. 

“I told the girls that when we won a state championship, we would have a monument for all to see for years to come,” Coach Gerald Slovacek said. “It took a while, but with the thoughtful donors, who made it possible, it became a reality.”

Even though it took a couple of years for the monument to be awarded to the 2017-2018 varsity soccer girls, they are overwhelmed with pride for their accomplishments. 

“It represents what we accomplished as a team and all the hard work we put in to achieve as big of a goal as winning a state title,” former soccer player, Abby Hackney (12) said. 

The girls are now constantly reminded of their great efforts and achievements through the monument standing outside. 

“It is a reminder of the hard work and dedication it took to make it through every single game,” Hannah Dorsey (12) said. “It is a reminder of that ‘on top of the world’ feeling that I will never ever forget, and it embodies the greatest moment of my life and of that it means so much.”

This statue represents many different things for various people, and many memories arose over the dedication and awarding of the state championship soccer players. 

“Dedicating the monument brought back fabulous memories of the impact these girls have had and continue to have on my life, the determination of a fantastic team, and the will to do whatever it takes to be the best,” Slovacek said.  “I loved seeing all of the girls and families, they will always be a huge part of my life!  It represents a standard for Jaguar Soccer! For all of the present and future Jaguars, it represents what you can achieve by working as a team, loving each other, and representing your school and community in everything you yearn to achieve.”