Biden Trumps, Trump

Outcomes of the 2020 Presidential Election.

Maxie Eller, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

Across the country, millions of people sat in front of television screens, watching intently as newscasters announced the latest updates in the 2020 presidential election. After months of rallies, protests, ad campaigns, and a plethora of yard signs, it was finally time to see who the next president of the United States would be. At the end of the night, a victor was yet to be determined, leaving the country in a state of waiting and confusion. Four days after Election Day, on November 7, Former Vice President Joe Biden was presumed the winner and President-elect of the United States. 

“The presidential election was very shocking to me,” Shannon Ledford (12) said. “I remember checking my phone every five minutes and thinking about my future and the future of our country.”

Many students, like Ledford, anxiously watched as votes were tallied and states were declared Republican or Democratic. Still, many states were left undeclared. Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Michigan, among others, had yet to declare a victor in their state. As the election dragged on longer than just election night, many students weren’t sure what the results would be. 

“At first it looked like Trump would win,” Dylan Ranson (10) said. “I was quite certain about his win until, overnight, Biden had a very big jump in votes.” 

In the aftermath of the election, President Trump has issued lawsuits against multiple states, claiming that the election results are not valid. President Trump’s legal team is gathering evidence to support his claim, and students have conflicting views on the validity of Trump’s claim. 

“If Biden won fairly, there’s nothing you can do about it, but if he cheated and Trump has evidence, then I understand why he would make a lawsuit,” Gunnar Turk (11) said.

Still, many students are supportive of President-elect Biden’s win against Trump and look forward to his plans for the future of the United States. 

“Even though Biden isn’t who I initially wanted for the Democratic candidate, I think he could do some good things for the country,” Savannah Lassetter (12) said. “I think that he has good goals in getting the COVID-19 pandemic under control in America and protecting marginalized groups of people.”

President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris gave victory speeches on November 7 in Wilmington, Delaware after he was declared the victor. Biden’s speech highlighted his urge to unite the nation and that his first priority in office will be to address the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“I think that he has a lot of plans that sound good to me,” Whitney Olson (11) said. “I’m only not sure that he is going to be able to accomplish them. Still, I’m hopeful to see what happens next for our country with Biden in charge.”