A Bitter Pill to Swallow

CNA and EMT Classes Look Different This Year Due to COVID.

Isabella McAllister, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

Checking blood pressure, learning CPR, and becoming the people that are the future lifesavers. Red and gray scrubs are scattered across the classrooms as students practice their compressions on dummies that lay across the floor, forbidden to step into a hospital. 

Seniors are offered EMT and CNA classes called “Health Practicum” through Heritage. This allows them to learn the basics of becoming an Emergency Medical Technician or a Certified Nursing Assistant. These students go to hospitals and train with real doctors, nurses, and EMT. Considering school as a whole this year looks different, these classes do as well. This class gives students an opportunity to get ahead and with COVID-19 hitting, these students are missing out on vital learning time before college. 

“This year has been a lot different than last year,” CNA student, Cameron Higgins (12) said. “Because of COVID-19, we haven’t been able to do anything hands-on. Our clinic has been pushed back until they can be approved.”

With the lack of hands-on learning, these students feel as though they are missing out majorly. 

“It will be very beneficial to go into the next level of schooling as a nursing student already having a basic knowledge of the content, to already be OSHA, CPR, and EMT certified and having a basic experience in that field.” EMT student, Audrey Painter (12) said. 

Health Practicum offers students certifications through their own school before heading to college. These useful and needed classes are being taken away from these medical students in a vital time of their early learning. 

“I think these classes are important and for someone going into the medical field to have a starting place to build experience,” EMT student, Emily Conrad (12) said. 

With COVID regulations and for the safety of students, these students have yet to step into a hospital. As the outcomes of what will happen for the future of this class have yet to be determined, the students try to stay hopeful that there is a chance that they will be able to go to the hospitals next semester to learn hands-on. 

“As of right now, we are unable to go to the hospitals, but everyone associated with the program is working hard to let us be able to go at some point,” CNA student, Brooke Edwards (12) said. “At this time it is very difficult though because we all have been looking forward to this for the past four years.”