Problems at the Polls

The Final Presidential Debate of 2020

Lily Johnson, Writer

With less than a week away until the 2020 presidential election and over 223 thousand COVID-19 deaths, the United States is in a frenzy. With the extreme rivalry between the candidates and the events that have taken place, some claim this has been seen before. 

“John Adams basically did the same thing [as Trump replacing Ginsburg] towards the end of his presidency,” Andrew Wall (11) said. “He appointed a bunch of federal judges to counter Jefferson, so it’s basically the same thing.”

Even though some of the Heritage students are eligible to vote in this election, the Jaguar Media staff sent out an election poll, granting Heritage students the chance to vote, in a way. 95 Heritage students took part in a survey, voting for their preferred candidate. Some students believe that it was a good idea, allowing students who are unable to vote to express their opinions. Others think it was not the best of decisions. 

“It’s not a good idea,” Tessa Sereneck (10) said. “It divides people more than they already are.”

55 students voted for President Trump, 16 voted for Former Vice President Joe Biden, and 24 voted for neither candidate.

“He [Trump] has brought in more revenue for farmers and ranchers,” Shannon Ledford (12) said. “He also had our economy running so strong before COVID ruined it all.”

While the majority of the group voted for President Trump, others preferred Joe Biden or neither candidate. 

“He [Biden] cares so much more about the American people, even the ones who aren’t Democrats,” Whitney Olson (11) said. “And he’s a lot more focused on actually helping the people instead of just boosting his ego like Trump is.”

As election day approaches, the Midlothian community will continue to cast their votes in support of either candidate. The 2020 election has been seen as very important, considering the pandemic, economy, and modern world problems. 

“I think it is very important because if we didn’t hear what they had planned for America,” Haven Moore (10) said. “Then how would we know if they will do good things? The debates are for us to see if they are ‘worthy’ to have a title as President.”