The Life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg

The passing of RBG leaves Supreme Court left to replace her position

Lily Johnson, Writer

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away on September 18, leaving her chair empty. While President Trump nominates Amy Coney Barrett to fill it, a question has been asked and many want the answer…Can anyone really fill the seat of what was once a powerful woman, who worked hard for our country, demanding rights to all? While waiting for this question to be answered, America remembers Ginsburg’s contributions. 

“I think her impacts on the Supreme Court were amazing,” Matthew Thomas (12) said. “She raised the standard for equality, raised the expectations of government officials, and showed that women can hold positions of power better than some men.”

Along with her strong push for gender equality, Ginsburg also worked hard for the extended rights of other marginalized groups. 

“She made it as safe as possible for LGBTQ++, people of color, and women,” Miranda Elgin (9) said.

Throughout Ruth’s career as an Associate Justice, she suffered from colon cancer and pancreatic cancer, which eventually led to her passing. On September 18, 2020, Ruth Bader Ginsburg died at the age of 87, from complications with pancreatic cancer. Very soon after the announcement of her passing, many gathered in front of the Supreme Court building, placing flowers and candles to honor her life and devotion to the country. Quite a bit of people respect Ginsburg, and will always remember her.

“Ruth really did a lot,” Kerriona Bradford (10) said. “And I think that will definitely translate to future discussions. She was an icon, and will always be an important figure of the Women’s Rights movement.” 

On September 29, Ruth was buried next to her beloved husband Martin, who passed away from metastatic cancer in 2010. President Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett as Ginsburg’s replacement. It isn’t quite final, but it is possible. When asked about their opinions on the replacement of Ginsburg, the students of Heritage High School expressed themselves thoroughly.

“Depending on who is placed in,” Victoria McGimsey (12) said. “I think it’s pretty bad, due to who Trump is thinking of putting in since these people do serve for life.” 

Many have been wondering if President Trump should nominate Ginsburg’s replacement, or if whoever the next President shall be should make the decision. With Ginsburg’s death very close to the Presidential election, it will possibly sway the voting opinions of America.

“Well, with her passing, Donald J. Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett as the next Supreme Court Justice, which would give the Republicans six judges, leaving the Democrats three,” Kaleb McAlister (11) said. “If Joe Biden is elected they will pack the court, so the nominations and people in it won’t matter as much because there will be so many.”

In politics, the sides are split, while there is a neutral ground area. Some people are unsure, while others have made up their minds. When asked about her opinion of Amy Coney Barrett filling the empty seat, a student filled us in. 

“I think that it would take a lot for her to be on that level of Ruth,” Bradford said.“I mean, she left some big shoes to fill, and it can’t be easy to fill in for someone like that.”