How to Stay in Shape During Quarantine

Isabella McAllister, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

During this time off I know for a fact that all I want to do is lay on the couch and binge Netflix all day, because I finally have the time to do that. But I have started to realize that instead of just being lazy, I need to start some of the things that I never have time to do in the school year because I am so busy. Working out for me has always been a struggle of mine especially due to my business and limited access to things to be able to help me in that area like a gym or a track due to quitting sports after my freshman year. But during quarantine, I have made an effort to drive myself to do some kind of physical activity everyday, and you should too, because during this time it is so easy to let yourself get away. Take it from me, it feels so good to have control of your body! Here are some ideas on how to stay in shape during quarantine!!!

Form a Routine: 

I know for myself I have never been the person to like to wake up early. But with this time off I have formed a routine of being able to wake up early to start my day. I now feel less rushed and stressed to do what I need to do during the day. By forming a routine you are able to maintain allows so much more opportunities to get your day done without feeling overwhelmed. Routine is important because without it we would all be messes. 

Go for a walk, run, or bike ride:

While we have so much time off, now is a perfect time to enjoy the good weather while getting some exercise. By going on a walk, run, or bike ride you are able to get a good workout in while being able to enjoy and take in your surroundings. Just enjoy the sun and soak it in, you could even work on that tan for summer. You can even stay cool and stay inside by using a treadmill to get that sweat on!

Meditate or do yoga:

I have never been one to mediate but maybe you are! It is definitely a good way to relax and just work on yourself. Yoga is something you can do as well to just let yourself relax and breathe while being able to stretch and feel better in the end! Namaste my friends. 

Do a workout video:

There are so many outlets to workout from home. While not everyone has many opportunities to workout right now because gyms are close, and I know not many people have at home gyms. But I am sure your mom has some old workout videos laying around the house that you can really get into, I mean at least I know my mom does. 

Plan healthy meals:

You can make a journal or be a pinterest mom if you like. There are tons of ways to plan new things to eat that are not bad for you. I would say to myself that I am a pinterest person and I always find new ideas for healthy and amazing looking meals! You need to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday or at least try to. Your food can consist of a variety of things and it doesn’t have to be restricted. It can be based on the things you enjoy, but by regulating your intake and watching the junk foods you eat you can feel better in the end. You can even try a meal replacement smoothie or do a fancy acai bowl!

Drink plenty of water:

For myself I know I drink way too much caffeine and not enough water ever. But by switching to non-carbonated drinks and water only, you will feel so much better. You will feel less bloated and your energy may even go up. Caffeine can be needed, but instead of relying on soda try tea or coffee(but not too much).  I know for myself I like coffee a little too much, but tea is a close favorite. I find myself feeling so much better when I drink tea because I am not adding the cream and sugar like I do in coffee. 

Regulate your sleep schedule:

During this time off it is really easy ro escape a regulated sleep schedule. Sleeping in until two p.m. and not going to bed until five a.m. is fun in all, but you are wasting so much of your day. I have always struggled with sleep because I am so busy during the school year. But now is the perfect time to fix that. By setting goals to wake up early a couple days a week to transition yourself would be a great idea. Even setting a bedtime too. I am not saying wake up at the crack of dawn and go to bed at seven p.m. but it is always good to get a goodnight of sleep. During this time we are not having to go to work for most of us or wake up for school, so we can really focus on our sleep!