Graduation? What’s That? Who’s He?

Seniors Face Many Unknowns About Their Last Year of High School

Graduation? Whats That? Whos He?

Lauren Curtis and Erin Green

Everyone dreams of the day they’ll get to walk across the stage, praying they don’t trip and embarrass themselves as they go to shake the principals’ hand and finally take hold of that hard-earned diploma. This is all students can think about sometimes. It’s what they hold onto during the hardships of lengthy college applications and final exam study sessions that bleed into the long hours of the night. It’s what finalizes their childhood. Just one moment of bittersweet closure before they turn the page and begin a new chapter in their lives. However, to the 2020 seniors, this dream may very well be ripped away from them due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control. 

“All I wanted to do was walk across the stage,” Maeve Sullivan (12) said. “I worked endlessly on homework, had all-nighters, even pushed myself to get here.”  

The graduation ceremony scheduled for May 31 is not the only event at risk of being canceled due to COVID-19.

“I was looking forward to senior breakfast, prom, graduation, and all of the senior activities planned,” Mackenzie Knight (12) said. “I’m super bummed that I most likely won’t get to go to any of them.”

With this abrupt ending to senior year, many of the students are left in shock. 

“I wasn’t expecting my senior year to be over the week before spring break,” Haylee Faulkner (12) said. “I didn’t get to say bye to my CBI kids, or even my favorite teachers.” 

Although students are missing their friends, they see online school as an advantage during this time.

“Online school has made it easier on me,” Pedro Nunes Nobrega (12) said. “I can do school at my own pace, and when I feel like it.” 

To others, even though there are many benefits to doing at-home learning, it doesn’t make up for what they’re missing out on. 

“Yes, we’re missing out on our normal senior activities, and it does suck,” Sullivan said. “But, We are also missing out on social activities, being able to be teenagers.”

Although it’s clear that seniors are disappointed with the way their senior year is currently going, they are also aware that many people are impacted in much more drastic and life-altering ways. Students urge everyone to stay home at this time, not only for the sake of their prom or graduation ceremony but for the sake of the world.

“I’m not concerned for my health but I am for the community because it seems that a lot of people are continuing their normal lives and not staying home like they’re supposed to,” Knight said.

To read Erin Green’s column about this topic, go to this link: covid-19-the-ultimate-cure-for-senioritis