Primed and Ready

Students Prepare for Upcoming Primary Election

Maxie Eller, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

The election is heating up. Commercials and advertisements are starting to appear in mass quantities as candidates are pushing to get more votes. Local officials are crowding every public space with their lawn signs that flash names in bright colors. Time is running out until one of the biggest election days of the year: Super Tuesday. What makes this day so super? On March 3, 2020, fourteen states, including Texas, will have their primaries and caucuses for not only local officials, but also for the position of President of the United States. 

These primaries are critical for candidates running for president because they determine how many delegates each candidate will receive from their political party. After the primaries are over, each major political party will have a national convention to announce who they are choosing to run for the general election. 

“Students voting is a big persuasion in how we want to see the future unfold,”  Hamilton Magnuson (11) said. “Choosing our leader determines what we want to see in the future and that is a big deal.” 

According to the United States Census Bureau, voter turnout for teenagers went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018. That is a 79 percent increase in four years. These facts show that this percentage of teenage voters should increase in this year’s election. More teenagers are going to be voting than ever before. 

“More teenagers should be voting,” Sarah Hinson (12) said. “Of course, if you are going to vote you should be well-educated and know what you’re going to be voting on, but I think that more people our age should be voting.” 

Hinson has already cast her ballot in early voting before Super Tuesday and is confident in her decision to vote. She, as well as many other students, feel that it is an honor and a privilege to be part of their country’s politics. Students feel that it is important that they have a say in how they want the United States to change and grow. 

“If we don’t vote, then we’re saying that America and politics aren’t important,” Caitlynn Hatfield (11) said. “They are really important. What goes on in Washington DC affects us, so it’s important to pay attention. That’s why voting is imperative. It gives us a chance to have a voice.”

Hatfield is not old enough to vote in the Super Tuesday elections but plans on voting in November. Many others who are not old enough are still participating in politics. They read the news, watch the presidential debates, and listen to what candidates are saying. Even though they can’t vote yet, these students are still playing a role in the future of the country.

“I am really interested in politics and government, so I keep up with what’s going on,” Magnuson said. “I’m excited about voting in November and I view it as an honor to choose who I want to lead the country forward in the future.” 

For many students, this election is a chance to voice their opinions and show that they want to contribute to their country. It is a chance to prove that they matter and that they want to be involved in the future of the nation. For teenage voters, a ballot is more than just a slip of paper. It is a chance to shape the future and change the world around them. 

“I think that voting is important,” Hinson said. “I want to get my opinions out there to hopefully help the country. That is why I voted and why others should vote. Every vote matters.”