Lend a Helping Hand

Students Share Their Experiences Volunteering

Julia Alley, Newspaper Managing Editor

Students all across Heritage have found their own special ways to give back to their community. While some service is a graduation requirement some choose to go above and beyond.

There are so many ways to volunteer your time and effort for the benefit of others, yet do we really take advantage of this. There is an overwhelming amount of community service opportunities at places such as Animal Reservations or National Parks, that will almost never turn down someone looking to help out. Whether it be at homeless shelters or libraries, volunteering is a vital part of being a good citizen. 

“I know a lot of people volunteer at places like women shelters,” Whitney Olson (10) said. “I think there’s a couple in Dallas.”

It can be a good idea to volunteer at places that you are interested in. Some students commit themselves to help out in places that they frequently visit.

“I volunteer for my church sometimes.” Connor Brumley (10) said. “They have like things for us to do around the church and I do that.”

The question of whether this really is enough arises. Do we as a group accomplish enough for others and ourselves? 

“I really don’t think that we do enough to help out,” Olsen said. “Like I’m guilty of it too, but it’s really just something I do when it is convenient.”

In a typical Generation Z fashion, several students have found a new thing to feel guilty about, volunteering. 

“What I do sorta benefits me too,” Brumley said. “I mean I volunteer at places I go so I’m really rewarding myself.”

General shame over community service appears to be a common thread among several students at Heritage. 

“I feel like me and a lot of other people just do it for themselves to feel good.” Tailyn Palmer  (10) said. “I’m in the student council and required to, so I don’t really know if volunteering is very altruistic at this point.