Tuning In

Students Give Their Best Music Recommendations

Tuning+In

Erin Green

Despite all the different genres and sounds, music will always be one of the few things that universally unites us. People are constantly on the lookout for a new song or album that seems like it was made just for them, but are rarely ever able to find something that hasn’t been recycled three times over. This needs to change. Students were keen to suggest their favorite underrated and obscure artists, because with music, there is always enough to go around. So, if you’re in need of a recommendation you haven’t gotten before, you’ve come to the right place.

Ella Fitzgerald

Recommended by Lori Miller, junior

The late legendary artist may already have an established fanbase, but most students in high school have yet to delve deep into the mystical world of Ella Fitzgerald. She was known as the queen of jazz, and no one has dared to take her place since her death in 1996. If you’re craving that classic, ageless sound (or just want to impress your parents with your “oldies” playlist), Miller suggests you listen to “Stompin’ At the Savoy” and add it to your library now.

Solange

Recommended by Daylon McClendon, junior

Solange Knowles has a relatively large following yet is often unjustly characterized as only Beyonce’s sister. Although that is a pretty epic title to have, many people don’t even know that Solange is a well-developed recording artist with multiple full-length albums and successful collaborations. The best way I can describe her music would be soul with an alternative twist, slightly reminiscent of Willow Smith. “Binz” and “My Skin My Logo” are great tracks to introduce you to Solange’s sound, so if you’re on the lookout for a female R&B vocalist, give these two songs a listen.

Novo Amor

Recommended by Carol Barcelos, senior

If you came to this list to find an artist that strays far away from mainstream sound, Novo Amor is all you’ve been looking for and more. As far as obscure musicians go, it doesn’t get much better than this. This successful Welsh instrumentalist has been releasing songs since 2012 and has completed a multitude of tours, but has yet to gain enough traction to make Novo Amor a household name. If you want to give this musician a chance, Barcelos suggests “Anchor”, “State Lines” and “Dancer”.

The Millennial Club

Recommended by Sofia Newman, junior

The only band to make this list may not have found a way to make it big, but it’s just a matter of time before they do. These four men have only been releasing music since 2017 yet have many tracks that have the potential to become hits. Their indie-pop sound is modern, fun, and surprisingly refreshing to hear. According to Newman, “Love Is So Hard!” is the best introductory song to pull you into the world of “The Millenial Club”, so go give it a try!

Daniel Caesar

Recommended by Luke Phipps, senior

Ashton D. Simmonds, formally known as Daniel Caesar, is a 24 year old singer-songwriter from Canada. He is known for his slow-paced yet alluring beats that truly captures the essence of R&B music. His musical presence may be a little too recognized to be considered underground–he’s even performing at Coachella for his second time this year–but many people are still strangers to his passionate and earnest work. We’re all familiar with “Best Part” and “Get You”, but “Complexities” and “Entropy” are songs you’ll hopefully be adding to your library today.

Healy

Recommended by Ethan Kirkley, junior

Ethan Healy, who goes exclusively by his surname, has found a way to juggle both medical school and a musical career all at once. This rapper and singer-songwriter from Memphis, Tennessee released his first album just last year titled “Subluxe”. The record’s saturated beats and drawn out vocals call to mind the works of Jeremy Zucker and Blackbear. Kirkley’s favorite song is “Reckless”, and if you enjoy hip-hop with an unconventional twist, it just might be yours too. 

For recommendations from the staff, visit this link: https://theroarhhs.com/3740/showcase/dont-stop-the-music-now/