The Fair, Of Course

Students Choose New Classes at Course Fair

Maxie Eller, Newspaper Editor-In-Chief

The Heritage High School course fair occurred on Monday, January 13, in the school lobby. Both students and faculty alike were able to wander through booths displaying information about class options available next school year. 

“It was nice to see what options I have for the future,” Taryn Stinchcomb (10) said. “As I try to plan for what I want to do when I’m older, it’s good to see ideas for what I might be interested in.” 

Many classes and organizations were represented in the fair this year. These included sports such as volleyball and cheer, classes like cybersecurity and culinary arts, and groups such as FFA and the PALS program. New classes that will be offered to students next year were at the fair to give more information about themselves and to encourage students to join their classes.   

“The course fair was a great way to get the students here involved in different types of organizations and clubs. It was really fun seeing how people are interested in FFA and want to be a part of it,” Allie Bevers (11) said. 

Bevers helped run the FFA booth which included a live sheep and a welding demonstration. She, along with other students, took time out of their day to make the course fair a reality by working at booths and answering questions. 

“I liked working at the course fair. I got to share with people what I’m interested in and had fun while doing it,” Kenna Standridge (11) said. “Hopefully, other students saw what we do and will feel inspired to join our classes.” 

Students met with each booth’s representative to ask questions and learn more about each organization or class. Some booths incorporated hands-on demonstrations while others provided fliers and pamphlets filled with information. Students could participate in playing video games, listening to music provided by the Heritage band, passing around a volleyball, and even walking onto the news set of The Roar. The Mile included a prize wheel at their booth to promote the new educational opportunities presented there.  

“I thought that all of the students enjoyed having hands-on activities at our booth. I think that all of the stuff that we provided really highlighted our organization,” Bevers said. “It was really fun to see everyone coming together as one and being Heritage.” 

The course fair took place throughout the entire school day with students coming during their social studies classes to visit the booths. The fair was organized by College and Career Liaison Amanda Thomas with help from Administrative Assistant Tarsha Anderson. Each class and organization took time out of their schedules to create their booth and showcase it at the course fair. 

“I think that it was good for everyone to see the different classes and opportunities,” Gabe Vazquez (12) said. “It’s nice to know what’s out there before you make plans for the future.” 

The fair was used as a kick-off to boost interest in classes as scheduling for the next school year begins. Students will meet with their counselors during the month of January to plan their schedules for next year. The course catalog and planning guide for next year’s classes can be found online on the Midlothian ISD website for more information. 

“The fair was good and I think that everyone enjoyed it,” Emily Conrad (11) said. “I liked both working a booth and seeing all of the creative things that everyone else did. It is something that I would definitely do again.”