Art Spotlight Andrea Borondy

Bailey Dunn, Editor

Standing under the angled lights that throw the dozens of student artwork on the wall into sharp relief Andrea Borondy (11) stands relaxed with a small smile in front of the mixed art four and three class as she explains the process of her critique piece for this six weeks.

The work in question is an inky black pen drawing of a clone silhouetted by scattered pieces of the death star framing the easily recognizable Star Wars figure. “After I finished the clone I wanted to do something for the background and so I drew the Deathstar and used a pen to shapen the lines,” says Borondy with a smile.

With small gestures to specific parts of the work she invites the entire classes eye to trace the finer details such as the shading of the clone, and the smaller interstices of the network of lines running through the death star showing off the impressive amount of detail put in. “I wanted to background to bring out the clone and create a better contrast,” Borondy says gesturing to the star-speckled background. This piece, in particular, she kept a careful focus on the background. “I’m really happy with how the death star and the way I shaded it and how space around it turned out, overall I think the composition is good,” says Borondy with a pleased smile.