On Pointe

Heritage drill team excel at regional competition

On Pointe

Rachel Cyers, Writer

The Heritage Belles Delta Line competed at the Danceline Regional contest last Friday, bringing home numerous awards in their name. Some of the awards were, but not limited to: team sweepstakes, officer sweepstakes, third and first place ensembles, best in category, judge’s precision award, judge’s artistic award, and miss congeniality team award. The competition took place at Celina High School, and it was the team’s second competition this year.

“[The competition] was really fun,” Jessica Miller (11) said. “It was really stressful as well because we were always doing something. It felt good to come back with as many awards as we did because last year we didn’t get as many so I feel like we accomplished something.”

The girls won two ensemble awards. One of them was the Hip-hop place large ensemble.

“I am very proud of my dance team,” Freshman Representative, Alexys Hamilton (9) said. “Our best dance was probably hip-hop.”

Lieutenant Anna Ussery also took home the award for being in the top five kickers. Having previously won the Kickmaster award at the Showtime International Contest in January, Ussery sets the bar high in the high school category.

“It felt amazing to be in the top five,” Ussery said. “I’ve worked really hard, and it’s very rewarding.”

The team has worked countless hours before, during, and after school to make the great win possible; they even went on to host their own Marching Auxiliaries competition last month, here at Heritage.

“I felt very relieved [after winning],” Lieutenant, Hannah Dunn (11) said. “I’ve just put so much time and effort just for this one thing, so it felt good to win.”