How to Stop the Decrease in Grades at the End of the School Year

Maggie Cockerham, Contributor

High school students are known for having their grades drop as the end of the school year approaches. Many teenagers get distracted by the thought of summer, some think they don’t have to try anymore, and others just don’t care or have the will to work.

Studies have shown that in the last month of high school, student grade averages drop by 5 percent and so does their work ethic. Anti-achievement behaviors are apparent, such as lying about homework assignments, not turning in homework or classwork, and being inattentive and disruptive in class.

Psychologists have concluded that grades are too important to become emotionally upset about. They believe that it is not appropriate for parents to give their teenager the power to get upset over grades. If they become upset over grades, then academic focus is lost and the teen wins influence over parental feelings. Grades are also said to be too important to reward or punish about. When teens are offered money for achieving a certain grade, they often see it as a threat they end up resenting, instead of it being a reward. When teens are punished for their grade, it can create more resistance to complete their work instead of cooperation. When parents reward or punish their kids due to their grades, they end up turning a performance issue into a power struggle with their child.

It is said that the most efficient way to get a teen to do their school work is to be supervised by a parent. Supervision leads to a more diligent and focused child because parents can monitor them to see if they are actually doing their homework and reward them with positive words.

The drop in grades at the end of the school year may always be an issue for some students, but if they can receive positive reinforcement from their parents, then they have a better chance of ending their school year on a successful and positive note.