Honoring 50 Years

A Charlie Brown Christmas Musical

Heather Garrison, Contributing Writer

One boy. One chance. One holiday. Charlie Brown was just a kid who wanted to fit in. His friends gave him one job. To pick out a Christmas tree. Instead of choosing one of the trees that were all alike, he chose a different tree. The only problem was the size. It was the smallest tree there. Through lessons of friendship, brotherly love, and the true meaning of Christmas, Charlie Brown and the other Peanuts are celebrating 50 years of broadcast. Though the Peanuts aren’t the only ones honoring this tradition. Heritage will be doing a musical to celebrate the years that this classic Christmas movie has been aired.

“[The musical] is not really like the movie. It’s basically a collection of comic strips. The scenes do not really go together…There are several scenes of the team on the baseball field, then it suddenly changes to Charlie Brown’s house,” Madelynn Henson (9) said. “We’ve had some line rehearsals and they’ve been going okay. We are mainly focused on singing right now.”

While the musical will not be like the movie, the actors and tech students are very excited to be producing this.

“I’m really excited. It’s a very small cast, so it’s either going to turn out amazing or sub-par. I believe there are 12 cast members. I think it was pretty well casted. They definitely casted all the freshmen as singers and dancers, which is to be expected,” Madelynn said. “Knowing Mr. Carbone, we will have it, and have it perfectly.”

We have a really vibrant cast, and it makes me excited to be producing this musical.

— Callie Roberson (11)

“I know the actors well, and the ones that I didn’t know, I have now gotten to know. I think it was really well casted. When I talk to the actors, I can see their characters coming out when they speak.”

The cast may be excited to be producing this musical, but some students don’t quite feel the same.

“I feel like it’s a little redundant,” Cole Garrison (MHS-12) said. “Every year I watch the Christmas episode of Charlie Brown and wouldn’t be as exhilarated about the musical, considering the fact that I’m going to watch it again this year.”

The theater group is working hard to make this musical work well. According to some of the actors, the show will be ready around Feb.

“I think [you] are going to be surprised about how 12 kids can come together and put on a huge musical, especially not having too much prior experience,” Henson said.

One group. One musical. One chance.